Monday, October 14, 2013

Pheaturing Phile Alumni The Breedings


Hello, and welcome to the Phile. How are you? Do you know what day it is? Today 26 years years ago my parents, sisters and I moved to Florida from England. Some people are waiting for me to move back. I have to say though, I miss England a lot. If it was only a little closer.  They passed out the Nobel Prize for medicine. It went to the doctor who developed a pill that will allow you to keep up with the Kardashians. The Nobel Prize for fiction went to the JetBlue flight schedule. The Nobel Prize for chemistry once again went to the Yankee Stadium hot dog. The Nobel Prize for lack of chemistry went to Bruce and Kris Jenner.  A Brooklyn man's life has been transformed into a waking nightmare full of potentially-lethal bathroom fixtures, after he narrowly escaped death when his toilet exploded last week, leaving him unconscious and riddled with bits of shrapnel. He has now been forced to flush his toilet with a rope from the safety of the hallway, due to his intense fear of the "porcelain bomb" in his bathroom. He thinks he has bathroom problems? There's a spider in my bathroom right now.  Senator Ted Cruz really gave it to Barack Obama during a negotiating meeting at the White House last week, Ted Cruz says. He looked the President right in the eye and demanded that Obama capitulate in efforts to stop him and his fellow Republicans from "providing substantial relief to the millions of people who are hurting because of Obamacare" in such a way that highlighted the immense inner strength of Cruz and made Obama seem small and petty, or something like that, according to the story that he's telling reporters. "Ted Cruz, you've just shut down the government! What're you going to do now?" "I'm going to burn down Disney World!"  Some adult people who were dumb enough to give thousands and thousands of dollars to a lady who claimed that she could use magic to look into their past lives are suing the professional psychic for fraud. However, in the course of trying to reclaim their money, they're being forced to admit, out loud, in a courtroom full of people, the full extent of their gullibility and overall stupidity, almost certainly making them question how much they actually need that money back. I once went to a psychic. She told me I was about to waste sixty dollars.  Remember back in 2010, when Michael Douglas supposedly had throat cancer? Well, it turns out that was a big lie! Douglas admitted in a recent interview with Samuel L. Jackson that he had actually been diagnosed with tongue cancer. Though, how do we know he's telling the truth now? What if he really had cancer of the gums or cancer of the soft palate? How are we supposed to know know what to believe?! Incensed fans of the soft-core BDSM book that has women across the world quietly masturbating in airplane seats and Starbucks restrooms just received some good news. Actor Charlie Hunnam... who, according to the Internet, apparently has the wrong color hair or not-sharp-enough cheekbones to play the lead in a film adaptation of "Fifty Shades of Grey", has pulled out of the production to dedicate more time to being unnecessarily naked on FX's "Sons of Anarchy". Guess SOMEONE isn't interested in having my wife masturbate to him. Hey, maybe I can get the part now. Haha. Oh, they recast it already apparently and the poster is out. I just happen to have the exclusive right here on the Phile.


I don't get that one bit. Moving on...  The New York Comic Con happened a few days ago, and different New York celebrities showed up in costume. Check it out.


You know, I have never seen a Woody Allen film. And I don't think I ever will. Have you seen the new Xerox ad? Man, I think it's fantastic!


I just wish it was a little more clearer. I have to show you this, a Phile reader who is an artist and wants to be interviewed here on the Phile sent me this picture...


I have to see what other drawings or art he or she did, but I think it's cute... and clever.  Last night the new season of "The Walking Dead" started. I still haven't seen that show, but I did see they released an inspirational poster which makes me want to see the show.


Well, it's Breast Awareness Month and all through October I am showing you some clever but controversial breast awareness posters. Like this one for example...


Okay, so because of the government shut down certain places are closed and one of those places is the Smithsonian in Washington DC. Well, I say do not worry. Because here on the Phile I have a new pheature called...



What a stupid name for a pheature. I'm so witty. Anyway, today we have the world's largest beard.


Hans Langseth was born in Norway in 1846. When he died on November 10, 1927, he was an American citizen and had a beard 18-and-a-half feet long. During his years as a farmer in Minnesota and North Dakota, he used to roll up the beard and tuck it into his jacket. Later on, he joined a circus act and displayed his beard full-time. His relatives cut off the beard and donated it to the Natural History Museum upon his death, where it remains as one of the Smithsonian's strangest artifacts. The above photo of museum staff “trying on” the beard also resides in the Institution's archives.




If you see the Mindphuck email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. Alright, well, a good friend of the Phile is feeling sad and she wanted to come on here and tell us why. This should be good. She shoots from the hip, heart, camera, gun, sling-shot, tank... It's...


I'm currently feeling pretty sad... after Googling images of 1970s Jim Dandy... whattaMANgrum to perve at, I mean do serious visual research on, I feel traumatised by images I've just seen of him now, wearing the same tight pants... I like you guys too much to post those pics on here, so here's a beautiful photograph I found of a dog, to express the innermost sadness that I feel.


Haha. Good job, Debbie.

Real quick, I was thinking what Debbie was talking about what Jim Dandy looks like nowadays. Why could she be so sad about it? Then I looked up this...


Yeah, I see what she's talking about now.


Okay, today's pheatured guests are a brother and sister act whose great new CD "Fayette: is available on iTunes right now. Please welcome to the Phile Willie and Erin Breeding from The Breedings.


Me: Hey, kids, welcome back to the Phile. How have you been in the year since you were here last?

Erin: Great! It's been a bit of a waiting game, but we're happy to have a new record out and have spent a little time on the road getting the music out to people. It feels good!

Willie: Hello!

Me: You are brother and sister, but does anybody ever think you guys are a couple?

Erin: All the time! No one thinks we look alike, so when we correct people, they hardly ever believe us.

Me: And does anybody ever ask when you are gonna start breeding, Erin? You don't have kids yet, right?

Erin: I've heard some version of that joke since I was old enough to know what it meant. I just rescued a 4-week-old kitten from Willie's backyard... does that count?

Me: Ummm... no. Haha. Alright, I have to say I love your new album "Fayette", which we'll talk about in a minute. Actually, let's talk about it now, how long did it take you to record this album?

Erin: It came together quickly. I believe it was three days in the studio and three days of overdubs, right, Willie?

Willie: Yep! Three, three day sessions. Recording, overdubbing, and mixing.

Me: It sounds like it was recorded live, was it?

Erin: Yes, indeed! Even the vocals! The pressure was on, but we had a really great time. The musicians on this record did a fantastic job.

Me: Where was it recorded?

Willie: Toybox Studios here in Nashville. It was recorded by Elijah Shaw.

Me: You kids are based in Nashville, but are from Kentucky if I remember rightly. Do you live close to each other?

Erin: We live about three or four blocks apart in East Nashville. We can walk to each other's houses. And sometimes do!

Me: There's a song on the album called "Tennessee", I take it that's a love song to the state you live in, am I right?

Willie: More of an attempt to convince someone to leave New York City for a much different place. And it worked!

Me: So, who does most of the songwriting between you two?

Erin: That's almost all Willie.

Willie: Until now I've written all of them but one, which we wrote together, "Take From Me". But, I think that's mostly due to just having a catalog of songs from my past to choose from when it's time to record. We're trying to write more together, so there will be more co-writes on the next album!

Me: Erin, do you ever try and get feedback from your husband about the music?

Erin: Sure! But usually it's after the fact, meaning the song is almost complete. He's a DJ, so he listens to music totally differently than I do. I like to use that part of his brain when I'm unsure of an idea or a sound. He's the least judgmental music listener I know, though. He gives everything a chance and can find a place for all of it. I guess that's why he's a good DJ!

Me: He's not in the music business as such?

Erin: Not the official "business" no, but because of his DJ'ing, he is obsessed with gear, understands a lot of the technical aspects of sound and hears instruments before vocals in a track. I couldn't be more opposite... of any of that!

Me: And Willie, last time you were here you mentioned you live with your Italian girlfriend. I have to ask you, where did you two meet, and what does she think of your music?

Willie: We met while we were both living in New York City. She was my guitar player/one of my best friend's roommate. In fact, he played lead guitar on, "Fayette"! She's very supportive of our music, and also does a lot of our photography and helps us out on the road. She's pretty much an awesome third member of the band. She's the best.

Me: Willie, as well as The Breedings, you do your own solo thing. Do you have anything coming out in the future?

Willie: No idea. I hope so! I'm always writing and producing, so between The Breedings and producing music for other people, I'm not sure if I'll have time to do that. I certainly have the songs I would want to do ready to go, it would just be a matter of finding the time/ money to record them the way I would want to. Also, since I write the songs, I don't really know the difference between a "Willie Breeding" or "The Breedings" record. Would that mean I would have to get a different harmony singer? I think people get tired of hearing me sing after a few songs!

Me: And Erin, do you think you'll record a solo album?

Erin: I'm not looking for that right now. I feel like we still have a lot ahead of us as The Breedings. It feels like there's so much to do and the wish list gets longer every day.

Me: Your music sounds very country, which makes sense as you are in the Nashville, home of country music. Is country music the music you listen to mostly?

Erin: If you mean modern country, I'm the only one of the two of us that listens to that. But it's not the most listened to genre in my collection.

Willie: I listen to about everything but modern country. A lot of indie stuff, hip hop, and then more than anything, the albums where Ella Fitzgerald is singing Irving Berlin, or Cole Porter songs, etc. God damn those albums are amazing. They are so perfect.

Me: Willie, you are a rocker at heart, am I right? I have a feeling...

Willie: Oh wow, I don't know. I would say I WISH I was a rocker. I often wish I was an awesome electric guitar player, but I'm horrible at it. Just ask any of our guitar players! I think in my mind, perhaps, yes I am, and then when I listen back to a bunch of songs I've written, there's a whole hell of a lot of ballads. And I really, really like ballads. I think John Prine said something about all musicians wishing they were in an awesome rock'n'roll band, and I think that's true. Just never happened with me for some reason!

Me: Willie, what was the first song you learned to play on the guitar, do you remember?

Willie: Well, dad taught me some chords when I was eight or nine and said something about, "Those are pretty much the chords used in songs." and I just started writing. I wrote a song about the rodeo. Probably one about my dog, Bear. If I learned any songs from dad it would either have been, "Puff The Magic Dragon", or "House of the Rising Sun", as it has all the chords you'll ever need in it.

Me: Erin, do you play any instruments?

Erin: Nope. And I wish all the time that I did. But all I ever wanted to do was sing, so I never had the patience to learn.

Willie: I gave her a five minute guitar lesson once!

Me: I love the single for the album, the song "Calm". And I enjoyed the video. Who are those two kids acting in it?

Erin: Caitlin Cervetti and Ezra Carey. Local Nashville talent!

Me: Where was the video shot, and Willie, I am glad you are in it as much as Erin, even though... no offense, Erin should be in every video, if you know what I am saying.

Willie: I would be very happy to never be in another music video, so I agree with you!

Erin: The video was shot at the old Roxy Theater in Franklin, KY. It was big and empty and the perfect setup for what we wanted the video to be. The outside/house shots were here in East Nashville.

Me: Erin, at the end of it you look like you are sad, and about to cry. I have a screenshot of it here.


Me: Was that acting, or was it real?

Erin: It's a sad song and I connect to that, but I don't think I shed any tears on the shoot.

Willie: She was sad cause I was yelling at her.

Me: That's not very nice, Willie. I have to ask something about Nashville, I love the show "Nashville", do you kids watch it?

Erin: I do! It's nothing like our lives, though. It might be like Faith Hill's life, but I doubt that, too.

Willie: I must say I haven't seen it yet. I'm not even sure I saw a trailer for it or anything.

Me: A lot of it takes place at the Bluebird Cafe, have you kids played there?

Willie: Yep! Several times.

Erin: It's an interesting venue because very little of the audience is from Nashville. When people visit here, they know The Bluebird Cafe is always a good choice for a night out.

Me: Speaking of places you've played, what has been the best show you kids have done?

Willie: They're all so different, it's hard to say. We played a show at The Brooklyn Bowl recently that was very wonderful, so I'll go with that one. We just did a tour with Thomas Bryan Eaton (my girlfriend's old roommate) playing lead guitar, and I have to say, we played a few shows on that little tour that all could have been in consideration for my favorite shows. I really love playing with Thomas, and a lot of the shows were in big rooms and theaters opening for Donavon Frankenreiter, so they were all pretty great.

Me: Any chance you'll do a show down here in Orlando?

Erin: We'd love to come to Florida. We need to cultivate our Southeast fan base like we have our Northeast one!

Me: I have to ask, where did the name "Fayette" come from? What does it mean, and which one of you came up with the album name?

Willie: The opening song on the album is, "Clays Ferry Bridge", which is the bridge that connects Fayette County and Madison County in Kentucky. We were born in Fayette County, and raised in Madison County. The bridge goes over the Kentucky River. There's the line in the song, "From Fayette down to Richmond, there's a river that runs in between." I can't remember which one of us decided to make it the title. If I remember correctly, it was both of us, but I rarely, if ever, remember anything correctly. So beyond being where we're from, and where we mixed the album, I'm not sure it has a real overall theme. If I was going to make a connection, I might connect our hometown, and returning to a more simple approach to recording after the insanity that was our last album.

Erin: My memory of this becoming the title was that the song "Clay's Ferry Bridge" was the impetus to recording "Fayette". Once that song existed, we felt we had to record it and that started the path of a new album. To name the entire record after that song seemed too literal and to not have much other meaning, but Fayette was more abstract and felt right.

Me: Okay, on the Phile I ask random questions this year thanks to Tabletopics. Are you ready? If you lived to be 100 would it be more important to have a sharp mind or a fit body? I doubt I would live to 60, let alone 100, but I would say sharp mind. Sadly I don't have either right now.

Erin: The Breedings care a lot about food and fitness, thus we care a lot about calories. But I think if I had to have one, I'd rather have my mind. What good is a fit body if you don't know what to do with it??

Me: Good point. Thanks so much for being back on the Phile, and please come back again when your next release comes out... or before. Go ahead and mention your websites and take care, kids.

Erin: Thanks for having us!!! Visit thebreedingsmusic.com for music, videos, tour dates and all the latest news!





Well, that about does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to Debbie Boldacious and of course Erin and Willie. The Phile will be back next Sunday with Phile Alum Wesley Stace who used to go by the name John Wesley Harding. Then on Monday it's the kids from the cool band Wise Girl. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever.



No comments:

Followers