Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pheaturing Daemon Familiar


It's gonna be a long, hot summer. People dream of leavin' town. Get ready for a long, hot summer. Feel the hammer comin' down, comin' down. Alright, Glenn Frey. Hello, kids, and welcome to the Phile, how are you? I'm your host, Jason Peverett, star of the new hit movie R.I.P.E.  Let's start with some crazy news. Al-Qaida's No. 2 man in Yemen was killed last week by a drone strike. He was doing a cover shoot for Rolling Stone and they were able to pinpoint him.  Joe Biden said this week that he still dreams of being president. To which Hillary said, “Keep dreaming.”  A key prosecution witness in the racketeering and murder trial of Boston crime boss Whitey Bulger was found dead this week. Who could have seen that coming? What, a witness in a mob trial dead? Turned out the guy suffered an allergic reaction to a baseball bat.  Taxi companies in St. Louis are considering an additional charge for passengers who throw up in the car. If you vomit in the cab, it is going to cost you more. I have a better idea. How about a discount for the next guy who gets in the cab?   Have you kids heard of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed? He has been in Gitmo for 10 years. They turned him lose on the computer and this guy is some sort of evil genius. He designed a brand-new vacuum cleaner. It keeps the fleas out of his beard. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed has declared jihad on dirt. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is a shoo-in for the Gitmo science fair.  Congratulations to Charlie Sheen. He just welcomed a granddaughter this past week. The nurse was like, "I hope you are ready to do some babysitting." And the baby was like, "Don't worry, I am."  Russian President, Vladimir Putin rode a submarine to the bottom of the ocean to look at the remains of an old shipwreck. And also because SpongeBob knows too much.  So, do you know what's going on right now? The San Diego Comic Con. Today is the last day for it, and I should of been there. But I don't think I'm missing much. It's not like there's gonna be a hot looking female Boba Fett there, right?


Booba Fett. LOL.  Pixar released a poster shopwing off one of their new upcoming films there at Comic Con, and I'm not so sure what I think about it.


I guess it's clever. And they were selling this Ewok poster which I thought was rather odd.


Man, it's like Star Wars Month all over again on the Phile.  So, did you see the new "Glee" logo for the new season?


I wonder how many Phile readers will get that.  So, it's summer and all through summer I have been showing you some phascinating swimming pools that are out there. Well, I ran out of pools to show you. But, I asked you Phile readers to send me pictures of pools and some of you did. So, here's one.


World Waterpark is the world's largest indoor waterpark with a size of over 2 hectares (15 acres). The World Waterpark opened to public in 1986. It is located in the West Edmonton Mall in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It has a maximum capacity of 5500 guests, an average temperature for the water of 30 - 33oC, and is the world's largest indoor wave pool holding 12.3 million liters. That's really cool. Okay, and now from the home office in Port Jefferson, New York, here is this weeks...


Top Phive Ways How George Zimmerman Is Spending His Free Time
5. Taping a new Fox pilot: "Hannity & Zim".
4. Googling "Plastic Surgery + New Face".
3. Updating his neighborhood watch recruitment flyer to include the phrase "As Seen on TV!"
2. Polishing up his gun before putting it up on sale on eBay.
And the number one way Zimmerman is spending his free time...
1. He's going to Disney World!





If you see the Mind Phuck email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. Okay, so there's like a million blogs online. Not all have over 642 entries, and not all are posted as much as this one is. But, there's a lot. So, I thought once again it is time for...


Today's blog that gets the award is...




Here is a what it looks like.



Check it out at thehappilyeverafterproject.com and tell her the Phile sent you.






Todays guests are the three kids in the cool Chicago band Daemon Familiar who have a new CD out on iTunes called "Brontosaurus Rex". Please welcome to the Phile... Pablo Mena, Brent Willems and Wendi Freeman.


Me: Hello, kids, welcome to the Phile. So, how are you?

Wendi: We're doing well!

Pablo: And thrilled to be on the Phile!

Me: If I remember, the bands name is to do with changing into animals, right? Who is your animal?

Wendi: Yes! A Daemon Familiar is a spirit animal like a witch's cat. Pablo's is a dog, mine's a squirrel, although maybe it's not too late to change it to a Yeti or Chupacabra. Did we even let Brent have one? 

Me: As the newest member, doesn't Brent get to choose his own animal?

Brent: One does not choose a spirit animal, the spirit animal chooses you. I... have not been chosen yet.

Pablo: Wait, I thought you were a grizzly? I guess your spirit quest will tell you.

Me: What animal would I be? A jackass maybe?

Wendi: I think you should be a sloth. They're so adorable you never mind their shortcomings so they can get away with murder.

Pablo: It's true, sloths are cut a lot of slack.

Me: A sloth, eh? Hmmmm. Okay, the band is the same age as the Phile, seven years. do you guys have a long term plan?

Wendi: For a minute there I thought you were trying to tell us you are only 7 years old. You have well developed musical taste for being prepubescent.

Pablo: We're just trying to put out the best music we can for as long as we can... shows in our eighties, guys?

Me: I still play your first album "Dawn of the Albatross" often, Pablo. I have to ask you about the song "Oprah". Did you write that song about her?

Wendi: Thanks so much! Pablo wrote that as a metaphor for people who have a little too much influence. That's all I'll say to avoid the Oprah murder squad... although can you actually name a show on her network?

Pablo: Yep, we've avoided her legion of fans so far...

Me: That's a very ballsy thing to do, sing a song about Oprah... she owns all of Chicago and could of have you killed. Have you heard if she heard of the song?

Pablo: I think the Chicago independent music scene is below her radar... but who knows, we may yet get a chance to jump up and down on couches while she interviews us.

Me: What do you have against her, anyway?

Wendi: She never gave us a car.

Brent: She never gave a brand new CAARRR!!!!

Me: You guys are from Chicago, right? What part?

Wendi: I hail from Wicker Park and live less than 3 blocks from multiple gourmet donut shops!

Brent: I frequent the bullet-riddled streets of Uptown.

Pablo: I live in Lincoln Park, and, appropriately, near the zoo.

Me: Are you a Bears fan?

Brent: Hellya! But in a cool way. No "Da Bears" stuff allowed.

Pablo: Yes, we have a strict policy against Ditka costumes. Or Dave Wannstedt outfits, for that matter.

Me: You guys are influenced by so many of my favorite bands, but the main influence of Daemon Familiar who comes up a lot is Cheap Trick, am I right?

Wendi: Cheap Trick is a HUGE influence on us!

Brent: I even bought a 12 string bass like Tom Petersson. In fact it is called the Tom Petersson!

Me: I saw them in concert more than any other band... except Foghat. Have you guys opened for them?

Wendi: We have that filed under the long term plans you mentioned earlier.

Me: If you could open for any band, who would it be?

Wendi: I would like to go back in time to when The Clash and The Police toured together and jump on that bill.

Pablo: But what if we changed the past so that DF never came into existence?? We better know our time travel rules.

Me: Something else I remember about you, Pablo, is that you said one of your influences is Reed Richards from the Fantastic Four. Why is that?

Pablo: It's either the streak of grey in his hair or my desire to have a flying car one day.

Me: I thought that was a stretch. LOL. Are you a comic book fan?

Wendi: We're all comic book fans. I host a comic podcast called "Double Page Spread" you can download from iTunes.

Brent: I am universally recognized as the President of Comics. It is something I take seriously even though I have no responsibilities, influence or authority.

Me: Okay, let's talk about the new album, "Brontosaurus Rex" which I downloaded from iTunes. Where did the name come from, Pablo?

Pablo: Without giving away too many of our secrets, we want to include an animal in each album title. And I do believe the brontosaur has gotten second billing behind the t-rex long enough, don't you think?

Me: And who drew that great cover?

Wendi: That art was by comic artist Tom Kelly, who has done some amazing show flyers for us over the years.

Me: There's a song on the new album called "Susanna Hoffs". You really like her, right?

Pablo: Consider that song an homage to a rock legend from my single days!

Me: Have you sent her the song?

Wendi: We figure it will happen organically and casually at a backyard bar-be-que one day.

Me: Have you ever met her?

Pablo: Nope... but given Wendi's crazy networking skills, it's only a matter of time before the two of them cross paths.

Me: I wrote a song called "Kelly Clarkson" for Kelly as well for my 'band' Strawberry Blondes Forever, about wanting to have sex with her, but I haven't had the nerve to let her know. I am trying to get her on the Phile. You can download the song on Bandcamp.

Wendi: Does it reference "From Justin to Kelly"?

Me: No, but it does reference a lot of her songs. Haha.

Wendi: I like her a lot, you have to be dead inside not to love "Since you Been Gone".

Me: Brent, do you like Kelly?

Brent: Kelly Clarkson is sleeper sexy! I bet she is an animal in the sack.

Pablo: Wait, does that mean we should include her in an album title?

Me: Funny, Pablo. There's also another song on the album called "Kate". Who is she?

Pablo: We used to go to a local hangout for burgers after practice, and she was one of the waitresses there. Doesn't every band need a waitress song?

Me: Yes, I suppose so. I have to mention this, Daemon Familiar is on a compilation album called "Fabsound Records Fights Autism". Kudos. How did you get to be involved and is autism something important to you guys?

Wendi: Our producer who put that together had an autistic son and my brother's stepson is autistic as well. It's become such a prevalent disorder that more and more people are affected by every day. There's such a variety of the autistic spectrum that I think we all need to become more aware and compassionate of understanding how to communicate to others.

Me: Nice. So, this year, I am asking my guests random questions I got from the Tabletopics game, so here is yours, kids. If you were given money to remodel your house what would you change first?

Wendi: Is Tabletopics like "Cards against Humanity"? We should Skype a game of that! I always wanted to live in the warehouse apartment that girl had in Flashdance. Then I could wear off the shoulder sweatshirts and dance like a maniac.

Brent: Buy a house.

Pablo: Do holodecks exist yet?

Me: I don't think so. Kids, thanks so much for being on the Phile. Go ahead and mention your website and everything. Take care, and please come back again soon. All the best.

Pablo: Thanks again for having us... and you can check out more Daemon Familiar at daemonfamiliar.com. Or just cut right to the chase and purchase one of our albums at CD Baby!

Me: Daemon Familiar, everybody.





Well, that about does it for this entry. Thanks to Wendi, Pablo and Brent from Daemon Familiar. Check out their music. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Phile Alum Pete Donnelly. Then next Saturday it's Phile Alum Holly Elle, on Sunday it's Will Hinkle from the band L.M.I. and then on Monday it's the return of Jeff Cameron back to the Phile! So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!


No comments:

Followers