Sunday, April 21, 2013

Pheaturing Nick Beaudoing From The Doc Marshalls


Hello, welcome to the Phile, I am your host, Jason Peverett, star of the new movie... Oblivious. Well, before we start with the funny stuff, let me just say my heart goes out to everybody in Boston. It's been a crazy week, right? I have to say, Boston is probably the only major city that if you fuck with them, they will shut down the whole city... stop everything... and find you. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev must of known that America never loses at Hide and Seek. Just ask Bin Laden and Saddam. Wasn't it ironic how this guy bombs a marathon then his last days of his life are spent running? Today was the London Marathon. I thought this was cool, and I have to share it with you. Look at this banner...


On Monday when the bombings first happened, everybody was pointing figures at who could be responsible. I said let's not be hasty. The worldview of the guys who created this grisly spectacle of mass-murder could be any number of... aaaaaaannd it's Islam. Okay, let's move on.  Did you pay your taxes? Why does the government charge us postage to send in our tax returns? We have to pay them to pay them. It's like giving a slice back to the pizza delivery guy. How about you just deduct 75 cents from what I already paid?  There are rumors that NBC is planning to produce a new season of the sitcom "Friends." Experts say it's been nine years since the show went off the air so only a few people would watch, making it the highest rated show on NBC.  A brewery in Japan has introduced a beer made from elephant dung. How do you market something like that? “I don’t always drink beer, but when I do, I make sure it comes from an elephant's butt.”  A Chinese businessman just purchased a $15 million iPhone. And I would pay $1 million for someone to shove him into the pool with it. An easy way to tell if you're a terrible person is if you own a $15 million iPhone. This is the perfect phone for anyone who wants to get mugged immediately after buying it. You can get the phone for $14,999,950 if you sign a two-year contract.  With what happened in Boston, the media and everybody was on edge. Check out this actual news report...

 
The owner's of the boat that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hid on are selling it. I'm not kidding...

I hope they give the money they get to the victims' families.  In lighter news, this week a brand new 3 and a half minute trailer came out for the new Superman movie Man of Steel. There was one scene in it that surprised me, but what a helluva cameo.

 
What a dick move, Batman. LOL. I can't believe Batman is gonna be in the movie.  So, do you ever see in magazine's and on shows when they show celebrities with their makeup and on and without their makeup? Like this one for example...


Well, I thought it'll be fun if I did the same thing on the Phile. So, here is Tori Spelling with makeup and without makeup.

 
LOL. That's so stupid. Alright, let's see went to the big square dance in the sky.




George Beverly Shea
Feb 1, 1909 - April 16, 2013
He sang to over 220 million people over his lifetime, worked with Billy Graham for over 50 years, and recorded over 500 vocal solos on more than 70 albums. And yet... I had no idea who the fuck he was until I looked him up. Go figure.

Pat Summerall
May 10, 1930 - April 16, 2013
Sudden death.





If you see it email me at thepeverettphile@gmail.com. This should be an easy one. Okay, so, before we continue I need to talk about something. Last Monday on the Phile singer Alexis Babini's interview was supposed to be posted. Instead I ended up posted an interview with another singer, Justin Levinson which was cool. I had a few email's asking what happened to Alexis, as he was on the Phile twice before. Well, in disclosure, I received an email from Alaina Bendi, President of Promenade Music Entertainment, his publicists who said he was too busy doing interviews, and they don't except any offers with written questions. This was after Alexis agreed to be on the Phile, as he was a fan, and had been interviewed here twice before. Now, I could go on and say in five years of interviewing people for my blog and working with 5 PR firms no one ever said their client doesn't do written question interviews. Or that Alexis needs to grow a backbone and stick up for himself, and not let him be told what to do by some chick. LOL. But I'm not going to do that. Instead, and I emailed Alaina telling her this, I am gonna be the better man. I am gonna plug his album and his next appearance right here, as he was supposed to get that plug last Monday. I actually like his album, and am a fan of his music, so it's only fair. So, Alexis Babini's new album "Pioneer Spirit" is available on iTunes and he will be next appearing at Martin's Downtown in Roanoke, Virginia tomorrow night opening for Aaron Carter.


There, I think I did the right thing. I hope to have Alexis on the Phile sometime in the future. Okay, well, I live in Florida and there's so many crazy things that happen here. I used to have a pheature on the Phile called Florida: America's Wang, which was pretty popular. So, I thought I would bring it back. So, here is that said pheature, kids.





A 22-year-old Floridian was arrested yesterday for domestic battery after she grabbed and yanked on her former boyfriend’s penis during a dispute inside the victim’s Tampa residence. Wallace had gone to the home of Antonio Marquis Williams to pick up the ex-couple’s daughter, according to a Manatee County Sheriff’s Office report. Williams told deputies that the pair argued because Wallace wanted to resume dating. However, “Antonio did not want another relationship at this time,” investigators noted. The argument then turned violent “when the offender grabbed Antonio’s penis with her right hand and began pulling on it which caused pain to Antonio.” Williams defended himself by grabbing Wallace’s forearms “to prevent further violence.” The sheriff’s report does not detail what, if any, clothing Williams was wearing when Wallace allegedly accessed his genitals. Though Williams refused to file charges, Wallace was nonetheless arrested for misdemeanor battery and booked into the Manatee County jail (where bail has yet to be set). She is scheduled for a May 21 court appearance. What a jerk.



The 29th artist to be pheatured in the Peverett Phile Art Gallery is Ellen Reid, who is also a member of the Canadian band Crash Test Dummies. Here is one of her pieces...

 
I don't get it. Tony didn't give his own ass... Confused. Anyway, Ellen will be a guest on the Phile tomorrow.







Today's guest is the lead singer in the band The Doc Marshalls, whose new CD "Look Out, Compradre" is one of my favorite albums I heard this year. They will be next appearing tonight at Evening Muse in Charlotte, North Carolina. Please welcome to the Phile... Nick Beaudoing!

 
Me: Hello, Nick, welcome to the Phile. How are you?

Nick: Wonderful. After some Chipotle, everything is wonderful.

Me: I have to say I am a big fan of your band The Doc Marshalls. Usually I am not into the Cajun thing, but you guys are great. Anyway, would you consider your band to be Cajun?

Nick: Thanks for the kind words. The Doc Marshalls definitely play traditional Cajun music, which is to say old school two-steps and waltzes from Louisiana's Cajun canon (Balfa Brothers, Iry LeJeune, D.L. Menard). I've also gone out of my way to write original songs in the Cajun French tradition. But Cajun music is only a small part of what we do now. We also play Americana/indie-folk and hard core honky-tonk. Our latest album, "Look Out, Compadre", was our first ever release without any Cajun music. The evolution has been refreshing as it allows us to attract a different audience.

Me: I thought you were from Louisiana for some reason, but you're from New York, based in Nashville, right? 

Nick: I'm of Acadian and French-Canadian ancestry but Dallas, Texas is my hometown. People see the French last name and immediately associate me with Louisiana. I did go to college in New Orleans, where I irritated a lot of roommates while learning the accordion.

Me: So, you're not from New York?

Nick: I lived in New York City for 11 years. I spent most of my time in Manhattan, with the occasional detour in Brooklyn.

Me: When did you move to Nashville? We live by Orlando in Florida but about 6 years ago we were gonna move to Nashville. Do you like living there? 

Nick: I moved to Nashville a little over two years ago. For this stage of my life, Nashville is the absolute best city. The cost of living is sane, the size is manageable, and the ample access to the great outdoors is second to none. I'm a fishing fanatic and countless rivers and lakes are a short drive away. I only regret not coming down sooner.

Me: Where are the rest of the boys from, Nick?

Nick: Above the Mason-Dixon line (aka the Waffle House/IHOP line). Our drummer, Doug Clark, is from Kansas City, MO. Pedal steel player, Jonathan Gregg, is from NYC and bassist Terence Murren is from Connecticut.

Me: Have you guys been together for long?

Nick: Yes. I look at early photos of the band can't believe our beaming youth. We had so many complimentary BBQ dinners to look forward to.

Me: Before we talk about your music, I have to ask where the name The Doc Marshalls come from? Is he your favorite cowboy?

Nick: The name has nothing to do with cowboys. All four band members have Phd's. Since you asked, my favorite cowboy is Stompin' Tom Connors.

Me: Phd's? Wow. Nick, who are your influences and who did you listen to growing up?

Nick: I love traditional music. The first album by the Cajun band Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys made a big impression on me. For my money, it’s the best modern Cajun record. Richard Thompson, a British guitarist who incorporated a lot of traditional music into his songwriting, was also a big influence. Early on, I listened to a lot of Richard Buckner.

Me: Okay, I downloaded the new album "Look Out, Compadre" from iTunes and really enjoyed it. This is your third album, am I right?

Nick: First, let me thank you for legally downloading our music. At the risk of overstating things, to me you're the greatest American hero of all time. And yes, this is our third record. We felt a need to move away from our Cajun repertoire in favor of a more crooked indie folk sound. My songwriting had been veering away from straight up country music for quite some time. I really wanted to avoid a repetition of the previous release, "Honest for Once".

Me: Well, I'm not American, but thanks. On the other albums you have songs with French titles, which goes with the whole Cajun theme. I have no idea what these titles mean, Nick. "Deux Bouteilles", "Je Suis Gine", "Bon a Rien", "N'Oubile-Moi Pas". I took French in school for 6 years and suck at it. Do you speak French? I'm gonna take a wild guess at translating these songs... Deux is two I think, so "Two Bouteilles". Is bouteilles a fight? Two fights? Je Suis Guin I think is "Jesus Gone", Bon a Rien is "Good River", and the last one is I am guessing "My Mobile Phone". I don't know.

Nick:  "Jesus Gone". I like that title much, much better. "Deux Bouteilles"... Two fisting (a beer in each hand); "Je Suis Gone"... I'm gone/I'm out of sorts; "N'Oublie-Moi Pas"... Don't forget me. Yes, I grew up speaking French as a first language. I’m trying to pass it on to my son.

Me: I was way off. You didn't come here to teach me French. So, how do you compare this new album to the previous ones?

Nick: For this album, I wanted to record in a studio where country pickers would feel out of place. The more indie rock, the better. We did it at Headgear Studios in Brooklyn, which was the perfect atmosphere. I'd recently heard records by bands like Phosphorescent and A.A. Bondy which had an enormous effect on me. I loved the idea of breaking free of standard country arrangements and going for a darker sound. Sometimes all-out country sounds are a distraction.

Me: You have a song called "Abilene", Nick. Is she anyone in particular?

Nick: No. Her best attributes are providing easy rhymes.

Me: Where was the album recorded?

Nick: Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I would leave the office and head straight to studio, recording until 2 or 3 a.m. I'd emerge exhausted, still in my suit and tie.

Me: I love the album cover. Where was that taken, and did you get permission to shoot that cannon? 

Nick: The photo was taken by Jürg Zimmermann of CAOSA, the Cannon Association of South Africa. I contacted them out of the blue and was rewarded with a beautiful shot of an historic cannon in action. That particular one was used during the Napoleonic Wars.

Me: I have to ask you about Runner of the Woods, is that another band of yours? What is their music like?

Nick: Runner of the Woods is my new project with guitarist Hans Holzen. I've been writing hazier folk tunes that are better suited to a 3 piece band. I've kept the pedal steel and telecaster but we use them in a different way... think coloring and mood instead of country licks. We'll be releasing a debut album this year. There's no Cajun or hard and fast country, so I think fans of "Look Out, Compadre" will appreciate it the most.

Me: You also do a lot of solo shows it looks like. Do you do The Doc Marshalls songs in those shows, or other songs?

Nick: I always mix it up. Playing Doc Marshalls tunes without the band is a great opportunity to hear a song in a new way. I also test drive new material.

Me: Do you play any covers? 

Nick: Country musicians have the luxury of playing all the covers they want. No stigma at all. These days I love doing covers of lesser known artists, such as Gary Stewart.

Me: By the way, I was just told that Doc Marshall a baseball player. That's not right, is it?

Nick: That's correct. There was also a snuff company called Doc Marshall. I imagine it's tough times for the snuff industry.

Me: I think I have a picture of Doc Marshall...




Me: Nick, thanks for being on the Phile. Please come back again when your next project comes out. Before you go though, on the Phile I ask random questions and here is yours, thanks to Tabletopics. What do you complain about more than anything else?

Nick: Indigestion.

Me: Good one. Nick, thanks again. Go ahead and mention your website and come down to Florida to play. All the best.

Nick: Docmarshalls.com. We’re on Facebook and Twitter too, for some reason. And Florida is closer than ever!

Me: Good, I'll definitely see you guys in concert. Thanks, Nick.




Well, that does it for this entry of the Phile. Thanks to Nick Beaudoing. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Ellen Reid from Crash Test Dummies, then next Sunday with singer Sasha Papernik. Spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!


No comments:

Followers