Monday, February 25, 2013

Pheaturing Phile Alum Kim Edwards


Hey, kids, welcome to the Phile. This is gonna be a short and brief entry as my stomach is in a lot of pain and I feel very nauseous.  So, let's get this going. Who watched the Oscars? You'd think that foreign language winner had won for Titanic based on how many times he said "sank you". What about John Travolta, eh? I was thinking, he's gonna have a Jodi Foster moment. They did a tribute for 50 years of Bond and they have a catwalk over the audience... and nobody repelled off! And what about that Adele? She kinda stays under the radar, right? Okay, I can't do this, I feel really bad. I have never done this before, but let's get right into the interview.



Today's guest was last on the Phile last summer. Her CD "Wanderlust" is available on iTunes and doing very well, and she has a brand new video out for the title track. Please welcome back to the Phile... Kim Edwards.


Me: Hello, Kim, welcome back to the Phile. How are you?

Kim: Hey, Jason! I'm doing well, thanks. It's really great to be back.

Me: So, how has 2013 been for you? Busy?

Kim: Very much so. I was hoping for a little more down time since last year was so crazy (in a good way), but there have been a lot of great music-related opportunities popping up lately. So I'm more than fine with it!

Me: Last time you were here you said you were living out of a suitcase. Are you still doing that?

Kim: Not so much at the moment, but I'm gearing up to hit the road again in a few weeks for a spring mini-tour. 

Me: Dallas is your home, right, but you are from Pennsylvania. Do you get back home often?

Kim: I'm actually at my parents' home in Pennsylvania right now for an extended stay. I usually only get back to Pennsylvania about once or twice a year, so it's been wonderful being home over the holidays and spending some extra time with family. It's also nice to be on the East Coast during winter... call me crazy, but I love snow!

Me: When you were here before we talked about how much you like Disney movie scores, especially The Little Mermaid. Do you sing any Mermaid or Disney songs in your shows?

Kim: Haha, I haven't yet, but maybe I will now since you mentioned it!

Me: Did you see Wreck-It Ralph? What did you think of that score?

Kim: Nope, haven't seen Wreck-It Ralph yet, but it's on my list of movies to see.

Me: What about Tangled?

Kim: I did see Tangled, and I LOVED it! It reminded me a lot of some of the great movies that came out of the "golden era" of Disney back in the 80s and 90s (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin)... which is fitting since Alan Menken composed the score. He did an incredible job as he always does. Aaaaand I happen to be a huge fan of Zachary Levi (Flynn Rider), so it was right up my alley.

Me: Brave? LOL.

Kim: Haven't seen that one yet either... another on the list!

Me: Kim, if you could have your songs in any TV show, what show would you want your music to be in?

Kim: Good question. Part of me says "Grey's Anatomy" since nowadays it seems to be the golden goose of TV placements, but I also like "Castle" and what little bits and pieces I've seen of "Parenthood."

Me: Okay, let's talk about your album "Wanderlust". It took quite a few years to make, Kim, are you glad it's out and doing well? Man, that's a dumb question. 

Kim: Haha, there are no dumb questions! "Wanderlust" did take a few years from the time I first started writing to the release of the album, but it was worth the wait to me. I think no matter what, I'll always love that album because it was my first. And yes, I'm very glad it's out and about and doing well. It's been almost a year since the release, and it's still gaining new fans... I'm really grateful.

Me: I have to ask you about the song "121". What does that mean? 121 what?

Kim: It's called "121" because the lyrics are taken from Hebrew scripture, specifically the 121st Psalm. (I think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of literature ever.) When we were recording, I didn't have a title for it, so we called it "121"... and it just stuck.

Me: Your latest video is for the title track, and you look beautiful in it. How long did it take to film? 

Kim: Thanks so much, Jason. The whole video was filmed in less than a day.

Me: It's simple concept, you playing piano and singing, but it works. It was directed by Bruce Kite. Where did you meet him and did you choose him as a director?

Kim: Bruce and I have been friends for a few years now. We're from the same town in Pennsylvania and have lots of mutual friends. Bruce is a creative genius; I always describe him as a jack of all trades and a master of them, too. He was my photographer and graphic designer for my album artwork and website, and so it just seemed natural to also tap him for the music video. He always does great work, and I trust his eye.

Me: Who else has Bruce worked for?

Kim: Bruce has worked with Olympus on a lot of projects as well as Ferasha Films, but as far as musician-related work, I love his work with a band called Coastal Rise. His photography is killer.

Me: Are you going to be making any more videos for the songs from "Wanderlust"?

Kim: I would definitely like to. I'd love to make one for "It Was Me" especially. Of course, I wouldn't mind shooting an on-location video for "Aloha", either...

Me: So, this album took so long to make, do you think your next album will take as long?

Kim: Hopefully not! "Wanderlust" was a great learning experience, and I think I'll be better prepared for making the next album whenever the time comes.

Me: Kim, I have to ask you about the photo's in the desert. Where was this? And are you crazy, they are snakes in the desert. You saw one, right? I have a picture of that actual snake here.


Kim: I was on tour in Southern California over the summer, and while I was out there I spent some time with friends in San Bernadino. My friend Shay Arthur also happens to be a great photographer, and since she lived right near the desert, we decided to do a photo shoot. And yes, we ran into a full-grown rattlesnake while we were out there. We were only a few feet away when we heard the rattle...
definitely the closest I've ever been to a rattlesnake without a glass partition between us!

Me: I would of ran away and screamed like a girl. What did you do?

Kim: Pretty much ran away and screamed like a girl.

Me: You tour all over the States and said last time you play in people's living rooms. Are you still doing that?

Kim: I have been playing more live venues than living rooms lately, but I still love playing living rooms. I love the intimacy (ugh, I kind of hate using that word in this context... feels slightly creepy to me, haha... but I can't think of anything better) of playing in people's houses. I think there's more audience interaction and it feels less like a performance and more like just hanging out... with music.

Me: What has been your favorite show you have played, Kim?

Kim: So far, my favorite show was one that I played last year while on tour. It was a benefit concert for a friend's organization (they work to bring awareness about human-trafficking) and a TON of people came out... so much so that it was standing-room only. The thing that stands out to me about this concert was that it was probably the most attentive audience I've ever played for, which was a real miracle for a crowd that size. I tend to feed off the crowd, and so when people are really into the show, that makes it that much easier for me. Some shows are like pulling teeth... but this one was so. much. fun. It was also a fave because we raised money for a great cause... doesn't get much better than that! 

Me: I have to mention the album cover, you look kinda guilty on it. LOL. It's better than the cover of the EP, where there's a picture of the back of you. Are you picky about the artwork and photos for your releases, Kim?

Kim: Guilty, huh?! Haha. I guess I'm pretty picky about my artwork and photos (or maybe "thoughtful" is a better term?). Each release is a new learning experience for sure. For the EP, I just went with what I liked and thought looked good at the time. For "Wanderlust", I thought it best to let someone else design the artwork, so I hired Bruce Kite. I gave him a few guidelines and sent him a Pinterest board of pictures that I liked (to help give him a feel for the vibe I wanted), and he knocked it out of the park. I LOVE the album artwork, especially the booklet he designed. I never would have come up with it, but it is exactly what I had hoped for and more.

Me: Alright, so this year on the Phile I am asking random questions thanks to Tabletopics. Are you ready? This is random, but it's kinda fitting... What makes your generation unique? I don't know why it's fitting, but doing these interviews, there's so many talented young people born ion the last 20 or so years.

Kim: Hmm, interesting question. I think my generation is unique because we are born into a plugged-in world. I mean, I still remember the pre-internet days, but it's weird to me to think that there are kids out there now who have never known life without the internet. Or cell phones. Or so many of the other wonders of technology we have today. And while my generation might be guilty of being too plugged-in at time, I also think it makes the world more open and interconnected than ever before. And that opens up so many doors for inspiration and collaboration and creativity in general... which is a really great thing, in my opinion!

Me: Kim, thanks again for being here, and please come back soon. Go ahead and plug your website and I wish you continued success. All the best.

Kim: Thanks for having me, Jason! It's always a pleasure. kimedwardsmusic.com,  facebook.com/kedwardsmusic, twitter.com/kim_edw.

Me: Thanks, Kim.




Man, I am so sorry this entry was so short. I had lots of cool stuff planned as well, but when you're sick... Anyway, thanks to Kim for a great interview. The Phile will be back next Friday where we kick off "The Great Space Coaster" Month with Phile Alum Robert A. Medeiros from The Clarences. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye. Strawberry Blondes Forever!



No comments:

Followers