Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pheaturing Reid Paley From Paley & Francis

Hello, and welcome to another entry of the Peverett Phile, I am your host Jason "I Can't Wait To See The Muppets Later Today" Peverett. How are you? Some people like me are excited about the Muppet film, others are excited about that Twilight film. Twilight is not for me. I understand that. I'm too old. That explains the weird looks I get when I shop at Hot Topic. Twilight is for young people, but that's why I don't like it. It sends a bad message. It teaches young people that vampires have feelings and werewolves are sexy. I hate the fact that the Twilight vampires don't turn into bats. That's so unrealistic. Everyone knows in real life, vampires turn into bats. I feel a strong connection to the Muppets because I myself am merely a puppet of the mighty Disney corporation. Ha! I am just kidding. Disney is the greatest company to work for... ever. I do feel like a puppet though. The word "Muppet" is a combination of "marionette" and "puppet,” just like the word “mobster” is a combination of "man" and "lobster.” It means all of us have the capacity to end organized crime by simply dipping our local mafia boss in butter and devouring him. Recently President Obama went on a 9 day trip to Asia. Well, he got to see some stuff he never sees at home, like jobs. Last week in New Hampshire, Herman Cain said that presidents don't need to know every detail of every country in the world and he said he's going to take that message across America to all 30 states. Cain said that we should focus on our neighbor to the south, Mexico, and our neighbor to the north, Cold Mexico. Last week, a Delta pilot caused a security alert after he got stuck in an airplane bathroom. But don't worry. The guy who couldn't figure out a door handle eventually got out and went back to flying a giant airplane. I don't know how many Repubican debates they have been but there's about 12 more to go. The plan, I think, is to keep debating until somebody recognizes Rick Santorum on the street. Mitt Romney admitted in an interview, "I tasted a beer and tried a cigarette once as a wayward teenager and never did it again." This has the makings of the lamest "Behind the Music" special yet. If you think that's bad, Jon Huntsman is now admitting that in college he experimented with parting his hair to the left. The star of the last debate was Herman Cain. He didn't talk much because the debate was about national defense and his area of expertise is pizza. There's talk that Facebook is building its own smart phone. Not to be outdone, there's talk that MySpace is refurbishing an old beeper. Speaking of Facebook, a recent survey showed that the average Facebook user has never met 7 percent of their friends. The article came up in my newsfeed from my friend, the Dalai Lama. Microsoft is apparently designing rooms for a hotel in France. You can tell the rooms are from Microsoft. Every time you open the window, they just freeze and need to be reinstalled. Alright, I mentioned The Muppets, the new movie I cannot wait to see. I was told by friends if I cried at the end of Toy Story 3 I am gonna cry during this film. I thought, what could the Muppets do that could possibly make me cry? And then I saw this screenshot...

Fuck, I am crying already. Speaking of Henson, even though he had passed they are still using him in the ads for the film.

That's so funny. See, this is like the Muppets, we'll make you laugh and cry and laugh again. I am such a big Muppet fan I was excited to see they have an inspirational poster.

I have no idea why the guys from "Mystery Science 3000" are in it. I didn't notice that before. 




Okay, from the home office in Port Jefferson, here is this week's...

Top Ten Muppet Pet Peeves (This one's for you, Leila)
10. Plushies.
9. Kermit's bacon breath. 
8. That annoying buzzer on the cool down cycle. 
7. Velcro.
6. Using the bathroom after Snuffleupagus. 
5. Not being invited to Bert and Ernie's fabulous wedding in the Hamptons. 
4. Competing group of odd creatures: the Republican candidates. 
3. 1% of monsters get 99% of cookies. 
2. That hack Elmo. 
And the number one Muppet pet peeve is...
1. Cold hands.

It's Sunday, and like every Sunday I invite my good friend Jeff to the Phile and we talk football. So, once again, it's time for...

Me: hello, Jeff, welcome back to the Phile, happy belated Thanksgiving.

Jeff: Happy belated Thanksgiving to the Phile as well.

Me: What's the big news for football this week?

Jeff: The biggest news of the week was the QB shuffle that is going on. A lot of QB's got hurt last week, with some of them injured for the year. Kyle Orton was released by Denver thanks to your wife's man, Tebow. The Bears starting QB got injured so a lot of people expected Orton to wind up back in Chicago, instead he was signed by Kansas City to replace injured QB Matt Cassell. Michael Vick missed last week against the Giants, but Vince Young led Philadelphia to victory. The Colts are still winless. It's really amazing how much one man (or in this case one Manning) means to one team. They would be one of the teams to beat if Peyton wasn't injured.

Me: Have you heard of tebowing? You need to Tebow, Jeff. That's what the Phile needs. Okay, how did we do last week? 

Jeff: The Giants lost this week, and the Steelers had the bye week. Meanwhile I went 2-0 while you went 1-1. So I am leading by a score of 26-24.

Me: You're winning? That's not right. LOL. Okay, Jeff,  what are your picks this week?

Jeff:  I am going to pick Houston over Jacksonville by seven points and the Bengals over the Browns by 3.

Me: That was my pick. I am gonna say Houston will beat the Jags by ten, not seven. And the two other NY teams are playing against each other so I say the Jets by 12. This is an elimination game of some sort. The loser will be out of the playoff race.

Jeff: I don't know where you saw the NY teams playing each other but the Giants are playing New Orleans, not New York Jets. The Jets meanwhile play Buffalo, the loser of that game is indeed pretty much out of the playoffs.

Me: That's what I meant, Buffalo against the Jets. Buffalo is in New York, right? Sheesh. The Jets will beat Buffalo by 12.

Jeff: Well yes, Buffalo is in New York. But when you say both New York teams are playing each other... so ha! Nice cover up though.

Me: I thought so. Thanks, Jeff, great job as usual, even though you're winning now. Oh, I have to ask you being a wrestling fan what do you think of the Rock going back in the ring? Were you surprised?

Jeff: I wasn't surprised by the Rock's return to the ring after seven years away from the ring. It should be interesting as the build to the Main Event at Wrestlemania featuring the Rock going one on one with John Cena.

Me: Thanks, Jeff, see you next week.

This is the 16th book to be pheatured in the Peverett Phile Book Club...


Jack Boulware, one of the author's will be a guest on the Phile in a few weeks.


Today's guest is an American singer, songwriter, and musician who has been performing and recording both solo and with his trio since the mid 1990s. His latest album "Paley & Francis" a collaboration with Black Francis is available now in stores, Amazon and iTunes. He'll be next appearing at Grey Horse Tavern in Bayport Long Island on January 6th. Please welcome to the Phile... Reid Paley.

Me: Hello, Reid, welcome to the Phile. I have to say what a pleasure it is to have you here, sir. How are you?

Reid: Thanks. Happy to be here.

Me: You're from New York, right? Have you lived there all your life? 

Reid: Much of it. I was born in Brooklyn, and that’s where I live. It’s a paradise.

Me: I just listened to your album "Paley & Francis" which I downloaded from iTunes and I loved it. For the readers that don't know, tell them who Francis is.

Reid: Glad you like it. That’d be Black Francis a.k.a. Frank Black, or as he sometimes puts it, that guy from the Pixies.

Me: How long have you known Frank? 

Reid: A long time.

Me: Where did you first meet him, Reid?

Reid: That’d be at a venue called Green Street Station in Boston. The Pixies were opening for my old band. They were new. And really fucking good.

Me: Before go into the new album, I have to ask you about the band The Five you were in. That band wasn't based in New York, but Boston, right? 

Reid: Pittsburgh, then Boston.

Me: The Five was described as post punk blues band from hell. How long did the band stay together, and what led to the break up?

Reid: That’d be about seven years, and I broke it up. Call it creative differences.

Me: Would you ever do a The Five reunion?

Reid: Nope.

Me: You had a trio band as well, am I right? Who was in the band with you, Reid?

Reid: Let’s put that in the present tense. I have a trio, and who is in the band would be Mr. Eric Eble on the Czechoslovakian upright bass, and Mr. James Murray working the trap kit. The albums “Approximate Hellhound” and “Revival” are trio albums.

Me: Okay, let's talk about "Paley & Francis", the new album. Is this the first that you guys recorded together under the name Paley and Francis?

Reid: Yes it is. It’s the first Paley & Francis album. But it’s by no means the first time we’ve collaborated on songs.

Me: Did both of you write the songs together and take turns singing, Reid?

Reid: That’s one way of putting it. We wrote the music for the songs in my apartment in Brooklyn over three afternoons when he was in New York for a three day run at Joe's Pub. After which we each took half of the songs to finish off with lyrics, and he went off to meet what he sometimes likes to call “the old band” for another tour. A few days later, we were recording at Jon Tiven’s studio in Nashville. We each sang lead on the songs we wrote lyrics for and sang backup on the others.

Me: Frank has been busy with his band Pixies, so how did you work around that schedule?

Reid: He’s a busy guy, so when there’s time we work fast. He had Pixies shows each evening of the two recording days, so we had a curfew.

Me: The album was produced by Jon Tiven like you said. Jon was a good friend of my dad's and who was also interviewed on the Phile in the past. Did you know Jon before hand? My dad would've liked your album by the way.

Reid: Now that’s a compliment. Thank you. I’d met Jon before, through Mr. Francis.

Me: Was the album recorded in his Nashville studio?

Reid: That it was.

Me: Reid, who else plays on the album with you guys?

Reid: The core unit on the album is the two of us singing and playing guitars, with Muscle Shoals legends David Hood on bass and Spooner Oldham on piano.

Me: And will you both be touring together? If so, you have to come down to Orlando.

Reid: Sure, with any luck there’ll be some Paley & Francis roadwork. Time will tell.

Me: I have a few readers who are musicians and like to know about the instruments some of my guests play, and I often fail to ask. You mostly play a Gretsch, right? Is there one certain model you like, and what year is it?

Reid: Live and in the studio, with the trio and solo, I’ve always played the Gretsch. It’s a 1955 Electromatic archtop, like myself born in Brooklyn. For the Paley & Francis stuff, I’m playing the ‘62 Gibson SG. For the guitar geeks out there, cherry finish with a dog-ear p90.

Me: How did you choose that brand of guitar to be the one you like to play?

Reid: I don’t have a lot of guitars. We’re kind of like friends: A combination of common ground, happenstance, and choosing each other. So the decision’s already been made.

Me: Reid, thanks so much for being on the Phile. I hope you will come back when your next project comes out. Tell Frank I said hello and maybe he could be a guest on the Phile. Go ahead and plug your website and I wish you continued success. Take care.

Reid: Thanks. The relevant websites are reidpaley.com and blackfrancis.net. And the "Paley & Francis" album is out on Sonic Unyon in the US & Canada, and on Cooking Vinyl in the UK & Europe. Now go get it.



That about does it for another entry of the Phile. Thanks to Jeff and of course to Reid Paley. The Phile will be back tomorrow with Australian singer-songwriter Broni. Then next Sunday it's Amber Nash from the duo Shiny and the Spoon. Then on Monday it's Blues legend Pete Brown. And then starting next week the Phile will be posted three times a week instead of two. It'll be posted on Wednesday, Sunday and Monday. And that Wednesday's guest will be singer Ron Sexsmith. We're in the phinal stretch of the 5th anniversary year, and it's gonna be good. So, spread the word, not the turd. Don't let snakes and alligators bite you. Bye, love you, bye.





No comments:

Followers