Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Peverett Phile Christmas Pheaturing Bob Lizik From The Brian Wilson Band

PHIRST OF

Hello, welcome to a very special Peverett Phile Christmas. Yes, Christmas is here and it's time to chug some nog and go caroling. Which is not that different from what I do every other week of the year. Just switch the nog for beer and the carols for random Foghat lyrics. Christmas is only three days away. You only have one more week to trample someone for a Zhu Zhu pet this year. They said this would be the best Christmas ever. It's funny, because I thought the first one was. Anyway, I have a lot planned for you this entry, with today in history, a list of dead people and of course an interview with Bob Lizik from the Brian Wilson Band. It's been a whole year I have done the Peverett Phile Interviews. Over 120 of them. I didn't think I would get to do twenty, let alone one hundred and twenty. And there's many more coming, pholks. Meanwhile, in the world of Tiger Woods, the Associated Press chose Tiger Woods as their "Athlete of the Decade." Well, he did put out some impressive numbers. Things might be turning around for Tiger Woods — no new mistresses came forward today. Puma is in internal discussions with Tiger Woods’ wife. They want to sign her to be the spokeswoman for one of their brands: Tree Torn. I think “tree torn” is what happened to Tiger’s Escalade. Tree Torn makes athletic shoes and clothing. It makes sense they would want to sign her — the woman outran a Cadillac. Christmas is only one week away. You only have one more week to trample someone for a Zhu Zhu pet this year. President Obama is said to be hard at work on his New Year’s resolutions. His plan for 2010 is to do all the things he said he was going to do this year.
The last few weeks I have been showing you some Christmas present ideas in case you are having problems finding what to buy. This is the final idea this year, and it's available at Target or Toys R Us. Check it out, it's a really fun game.

Also, the last few months I have been showing you different inspirational or motivational posters that are out on the market, and I found this Christmasy one that is kinda odd.

I asked a few people how do you think I can get more readers and I was told by a bunch of guys to post a picture of a hot woman dressed for Christmas. So, fellas, here it is. Enjoy.





Brittany Murphy: Girl, Interrupted.
Jennifer Jones: Death is a Many-Splendored Thing ...
Chris Henry: His contract specifically said: No Pickup Games.
Dan O'Bannon: In a casket, nobody can hear you scream.
Roy Disney: Walt's Goofy nephew.

From the home office in the North Pole, here is this week's...

Top Ten Least-Popular Holiday Toys
10. Zhu Zhu Scorpion.
9. Rock Band: Flute Edition.
8. The Lionel Richie Train Set.
7. Tickle Me Madoff.
6. Hungry, Hungry Kirstie.
5. Rogue Barbie.
4. Balloons That Do Not Include Boys.
3. White House Party Invitation Maker.
2. Regis Philbin Do-It-Yourself Hip Replacement Kit.
And the number one least popular holiday toy is...
1. Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em, Elin.

1955
The corpse of Evita Peron is stolen by anti-Peronistas.
1972
An earthquake destroys the city of Managua, Nicaragua, leaving 6,000 dead.
1984
Bernhard Goetz shoots 4 teenage boys on the NYC subway after one of them asks him for money.
1996
An alien cadaver of height 5 centimeters is found at the Kibbutz Achihod, Ahyud Israel. Scientists at Israel's Technion Institute in Hafnia determine that not enough material is present to conduct "proper tests" but the alien's composition is chiefly cow manure.
2001
Richard Reid attempts to blow up an American Airlines transatlantic flight by igniting a plastic explosive concealed in his shoe. Other passengers beat the living daylights out of him.

Today's guest has for years has been a first call session player in Chicago. He has performed on thousands of television and radio commercials. From your favorite foods and beverages, to the cars you drive and the places you shop, you've probably heard his bass on their commercials. He's appeared on albums with artists such as, Barbra Streisand, Mavis Staples, Joe Sample, Billy Joel, and tracks for Madonna, Mariah Carey, Kylie Minogue, and many others. From 1998 he toured and recorded with the legendary Brian Wilson. His work with Brian goes back to the "Imagination" album, and includes everything thru "Smile", and "That Lucky Old Sun". Please welcome to the Phile... Bob Lizik.

Me: Hello, Bob, welcome to the Phile, sir. How are you? Where are you right now?

Bob: I'm doing fine, thank you. I'm home in the suburbs of Chicago.

Me: I read you played bass on a shit load of commercials. What can I hear you on that is presently played?

Bob: Yes, I played on tons of spots starting in the 80's. At one time or another I played on every brand of Auto, Beer, Fast food, etc. But traveling with Brian had limited my work in Chicago. That plus the business has changed a lot. Currently, I have a couple of Pepsi spots, and a couple of One A Day spots, along with a Health Care company, and a grocery chain. There may be a couple of other things out there.

Me: You have a very impressive resume, sir. You played with Mavis Staples, Barbra Streisand, Billy Joel and Madonna to name just a few. Is there anybody you played with that you thought you couldn't believe you were playing with that person?

Bob: It's always a thrill to play with someone famous or someone you admire. We did some work with Eric Clapton, and when we started to play, and I heard his guitar in my ears, it was a huge thrill. The same thing happened with Jeff Beck. He played "Surf's Up" with the band, and I couldn't believe it.

Me: Do you know Mike Finnigan? He also played with Ms. Staples.

Bob: I assume you mean Mike Finnigan the great keyboard player. I don't know him personally, but I met him way back when he was with Maria Muldaur, and I was with Tim Moore. We did a few dates together. She had a killer band with Mike, and Amos Garrett on guitar.

Me: Okay, I have to ask you about Brian Wilson. That is one guy I would love to interview. When did you first meet him and what was the first thing he ever said to you?

Bob: I first met Brian in 1998. His producer, Joe Thomas called me to play a couple of tracks on the "Imagination" album. He didn't say much. I think he just called me bass player. It took him a while to get comfortable aound new people. At one point I was doing a high, muted bass part, ala Carol Kaye, And he statred to give very specific direction as to the sound, and what he wanted. That was pretty cool.

Me: I have a live concert CD of his and he does a short version of the Barenaked Ladies song "Brian Wilson". Was that a spur of the moment thing or planned? It was very, very funny that he did it.

Bob: The whole Barenaked Ladies thing was worked out in advance. Someone thought it would be a good way to start the set.

Me: How many people does Brian have in his band?

Bob: Besides Brian, there are ten people in the band. I'm no longer in the band. I quit about 8 months ago.

Me: How long have you been playing bass, Bob? And is that your first instrument of choice?

Bob: I've been playing bass over 40 years. I started on accordian.

Me: Who is your favorite bass player?

Bob: I have a lot of favorite bass players. There are so many great players. Marcus Miller, Gary Willis, Victor Wooten, Tony Levin, Rocco Prestia. I listened a lot to James Jamerson, and Chuck Rainey when I was staring out. Although I didn't know who they where until later because they never used to list the side musicians on records then.

Me: What was your favorite gig you ever did?

Bob: My favorite gig was the Queens 50th Anniversary at Buckingham Palace. That was a big thrill.

Me: You played Live 8, right? Who did you play with there and how was that experience?

Bob: Live 8 was great. The vibe was very positive. Everyone wanted to do someting to help, so there didn't seem to be a lot of ego's around. Plus looking out over a sea of people that are singing along is a nice feeling. I think we were on the bill with Audioslave, Green Day, Roxy Music. That's about all I can remember.

Me: What type of bass do you play?

Bob: I Play Lakland basses. I have acouple of dozen different basses. Six of them are Laklands. I love the feel and sound and everything else about Lakland basses.

Q: Thanks, Bob, for taking part and have a Merry Christmas.


PHINALLY

There you go, the first Peverett Phile Christmas special entry. I'd like to thank Wikipedia, Ron Mena for the new kick-ass logo and of course to Bob Lizik. The Phile will be back next Tuesday with Erik Smith from the band The Erik Smith Project. So, until then, spread the word, not the turd. Bye, love you, bye, and Merry Christmas.















No comments:

Followers